Thirty Three Tired and Dated Photographic Expressions: Un-Edited
Riffing on a post by Ash Ambirge today, I asked the intrepid members of my Lighting Essentials Flickr group to come up with a list of photographic cliche’s and terms that they were also tired of.
I did not edit them, nor did I censor any of them… 33 different pet peeves by 33 photographers.
Now, you may believe some of them should be on the list, and others may piss you off.
Good…. that means it is a great list.
So without further comment:
1. Blowing out the Ambient
2. Creamy/Dreamy/Delicious Bokeh
3. Use the Histogram to _________
Gangnam Strobist style
5. Beating the sun
6. Stofen/Fong make soft light.
8. It’s only a phone camera
9. its a little hot
11. “Capturing life’s precious moments”
12. it’s a little soft
13. “put it on the thirds”
14. ‘Clicking’ a picture
15. The “Dave Hill Look”
16. What triggers do I need to buy?
18. I coulda done that better
19. Capture an image
20. Its fine I’ll fix it in post
21. Spray and pray
22. RAW or JPEG?
23. Lost detail
25. Signature (Don’t tell Missy)
26. Just tie some knots in a piece of string.
29. Never use hard light
30. That’s an expensive camera, it must take great pictures
31. pixel peeping
32. Light Depth of Field
33. If you use P you suck.
(Bonus 4 – don’t never say we don’t give you free stuff…)
35. TTL sucks
36. “Editorial ”
37. Document the Experience
If you want to add your single most annoying phrase or term for photographers, add it in the comments. NOTE: arguing with the list is pointless: I didn’t write it, and I do not remember who said what. So if your Ox got gored, consider it for what it is. It’s just for fun.
Direct all hate mail to “ScooterPie@soyouthinkIreallycare.org”
(And you really SHOULD read Ash’s post… it will get you thinking about the words you use.)