The Making of “Broken Doll”

By Carla McMahon

(NOTE: This image won the Annual Kelby One Photo & Design Contest)

This is a composite of about 5/6 images.

My camera was on a tripod and every image was taken from the exact same angle and focal length.

First an image of a clean(ish) background – so I could mask in any areas that I needed to.

I wish that I had taken a completely clean shot without any cords or cables or a shot with the lighting cable in a different position, as I had to to spend a bit of time cloning out the cable.

Image2

And then various images that made up the doll, and broken leg

Image3]

Once I had all the images, I brought them into photoshop. I chose parts of each image that I liked (the dress from one, the head position from another, the arm position from another. And I spent a bit of time masking, out (and in) the various areas that I wanted to see. And cleaning up the background.

Image4

Broken arm

For the broken arm, I masked out the actual arm with a fairly hard brush. And the “blank” shot was underneath so that showed through. I added some shadows and cleaned up the background to make it look more realistic

Image5

I cleaned up a bit more and took out the upright pipe, and I added the horizontal pipe.

I positioned that over the leg in the position that I wanted it and then I added a layer mask and masked out the areas that I did not want to show.

For the front I used a low opacity brush so that the pipe looked like it was under the dress.

Image6

Joint pins and joints

For the joint pins or buttons, I drew them in photoshop and then added layer effects to try and make them look a bit more 3 D (bevel and emboss, drop shadow)

I did the same thing with the joints.

Image7

Broken leg

  1. I positioned the leg where I wanted it
  1. And added the pipe in the right position
  1. Then I masked out the parts of the pipe that I did not want to show
  1. And used a pinkish brush and changed the layer to multiply mode to make the white PVC pipe look pink

Image8

Then I went crazy on the frequency separation to make the skin look very smooth and plastic like. (I don’t know how to do frequency separation. The few times that I have used it I need to find a video and follow along step by step)

Image9

I added some texture layers.

I used a layer mask to take some of the texture away from the “doll”

Image10

And various other adjustment layers – curves, hue and saturation, photo filters. Basically I just played around until I liked what I saw.

Image11

And then lastly I finished off with a film effex adjustment filter in Nik Color Effex and one last curves layer back in photoshop.

Image1

See more of Carla’s images here.

 

 

Print Friendly
control

STOP SPINNING YOUR WHEELS!

If you are finding it difficult to find clients for your photography business, here are four FREE modules that will help you NOW. They are not sales videos, they are focused on real world information for you to take action today. Get your portfolio client ready, find the types of clients YOU should be working for, meet them face to face and get the gig. It's not easy, and there are no shortcuts. Know that. 4 Free modules sent to you one per week. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Your FREE Training is on the way... check your email box now.